This Vietnamese Pho chicken and noodle soup is so easy to fall in love with. From the rich tasting broth to the aromatic spices to its healthful properties, this nutritious soup does wonders for aiding digestion, improving immune systems and strengthening bones, hair and nails. A Pho soup recipe is definitely a one to add to your repertoire this winter.
Pho Soup Recipe
- 3/4-inch piece of ginger
- 2 medium green onions
- 1 small bunch of cilantro sprigs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 ½ cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 6 ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breast (chicken thighs also work well)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 ounces of dried flat rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- bean sprouts
- mint sprigs
- thai basil
- cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- thinly-sliced chili peppers
To make the broth
- Peel the ginger and slice it into 4 or 5 pieces.
- Slice the green onion thinly and set aside for garnishing.
- Cut the remaining parts of the green onion and add to the ginger.
- Roughly chop the top of the leafy parts of the cilantro.
- Add ginger, green onion and cilantro to a pot and add the coriander seeds and the clove.
- Heat over a medium heat until the ingredients become fragrant.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
To make the chicken
- Add chicken to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from the broth, allow to cool and shred the chicken.
- Continue to simmer the broth without the chicken for another 20 minutes.
To make the rice noodles
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water until they become opaque.
- Strain your broth with a fine mesh strainer and throw away any of the solids.
- Return your broth to simmer and add your rice noodles to allow a deeper flavour to work into the noodles.
- Add the chicken and garnish with sliced green onion and chopped cilantro.
- Add any optional toppings and serve warm.